Building Les Pauls
with Freddy Gabrsek
on images to enlarge
Bending the fretwire...I like a bit of an overbend.
First I cut the frets nearly flush to the fingerboard and then I press them in.
Gluing and clamping the binding.
Trimming the binding down flush to the fingerboard and the fret ends.
To make side dots, I cut up some tortoise colour picks and superglued the pieces to the blunt end of a 3/32" drill bit.
I chucked up the drill bit with the tortoise piece glued to the end and turned it down flush to the diameter of the bit with a file. This photo is as seen through my magnifying goggles, I just put them right over the lens of the camera.
I didn't have a brad point drill bit of the right size to drill the peghead holes, so I ground my own brad pointed bit from a regular twist drill with this cutting wheel set-up. I did have to grind the back-rake freehand though.
To avoid tear-out, I always stop short of breaking through when drilling. Flipping the piece and re-entering the hole left by the brad point makes it nice and clean.
Since I used a pattern bit to cut out the peghead profile, I had to chisel in the corner at the top of the head.
The finished neck.
The back of the neck.
Fine tuning the fit of the mortise and tenon joint.
A nice fit.